October 4, 2011

Globe age.

photo from apartment therapy

for a while, i had a globe problem. my husband owns a recording studio called the Library, due to the thousands and thousands of books lining his walls and other library-themed decor. he got a bunch of cool stuff from my recently-retired librarian mom and was pretty thrilled when i came home one day from the thrift store with an old-timey globe for the studio. i love groupings of globes (which can be seen via pretty much any interior decorating blog) so i started buying interesting ones for him whenever i came across them. thing is, you'll find a cool globe pretty much every time you walk into a thrift store. and they're usually only $5-7, so for a while i was globe-buying with abandon. it got a little out of hand, and last December i imposed a moratorium on globe acquisition.

so of course i would only now come across this- a great online guide for dating your globe (as in, "how old are you, globe?" and not "what are you doing later, globe?"). this was one of my favorite parts of globe hunting- finding the old, obsolete ones. i had a few countries i knew of for dating purposes: Eritrea, Czechoslovakia, East/West Germany, USSR. and of course now ALL our globes are obsolete, because none of them have South Sudan...

PS- this is a pretty cool idea. if i ever needed a reason to lift the globe-buying ban...

1 comment:

Julie said...

I've been wanting a globe for a while..I'll have to my local thrift store. I think it would look nicely on top of a shelf of some kind, I'll just have to find the perfect spot.